What’s My Sign? – the challenge for the month of April for Project QUILTING Off Season
Even though I am not a zodiac person, I secretly am proud to be a leo. Who wouldn’t be? Regal. Strong. Fierce. And then there is the Lion and the Lamb…that appeals to me a lot. And Lion of Judah. So it will come as no surprise that for my “sign” quilting project I decided to make Aslan of Narnia, my favorite lion.
That sounds so simple and straight forward, “I decided to make Aslan of Narnia, my favorite lion”, but let me tell you it was definitely a challenge and a learning experience. By the end (just now, with the deadline looming) I feel like Thomas Alva Edison and his 10,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb.
My first plan was to make a child’s quilt approximately 40″X60″. The lefthand section would be about 40″ square with the body and head of Aslan looking to the right. The right hand section would be a set of 4 blocks made with different techniques: the lamp post in machine applique on a swirly gray backgroud with a bright yellow light beaming forth; the constellation of Leo embroidered on a dark blue printed with silver stars sprinkled about; the Dawn Treader at full power sailing across a wind swept sea, also machine appliqued; and Cair Paravel set high on the hill with banners flowing in the breeze, using the new-to-me foundation paper piecing technique.
With one thing and another…it just didn’t happen. A major “thing” was I was not at all happy with Aslan’s head and his body. They just didn’t go. Plus I really wasn’t happy with his head. Here is a before shot.
A friend suggest there was something odd about the feet, so I thought, hmmm, I’ll disguise the oddness with flowers!
Those sweet flowers made the head even worse!
I worked on that head and made the nose smaller, the chin shorter, the mane a bit more tamed with a trim across the top…much better.
Time is running out and there is no way I will be able to finish all these pieces from Narnia.
I stepped back and opened the lines of whatever and decided it was time to be practical. I would use the head and make a pillow cover or a wall hanging…pillow cover.
Well, in the process of making the quilted pillow cover I realized that the innovative (flying-by-seat-of-my-pants) techique for making the head just wouldn’t hold up under wear and tear, so the final answer…wall hanging. And that is what it is. Ta Da!